Quotum's technical team shares their selection of ServiceNow interview questions to prepare for your interview.
1. How can you use ServiceNow?
ServiceNow is an IT Service Management and IT Business Management tool. This cloud-based solution helps get your data out of siloes and along with the ServiceNow Platform you can consolidate your IT tools into a single data model to transform the service experience, automate workflows, gain realtime visibility, and improve IT productivity.
2. How can you enable an application in ServiceNow?
To either enable or disable an application, first, you need to access the ‘Application Menus’. Next, open the application you want to enable. And finally, the value ‘true’ will enable it and ‘false’ will disable it.
3. Define dictionary overrides for state flows?
Dictionary overrides can only be used for tables that support table extension. Also, it is possible to add dictionary overrides only on those tables that share the same scope as the parent table. With the dictionary override function, you can allow a field in the child table to have a different value or behavior as compared to the field in the parent table.
A dictionary override in a state flow defines the starting state for all new records in a specific table. It is possible to set a dictionary override in tables and extend it only to a base table thus allowing your customizations to be applied only to the extended table.
The steps are:
a. In a state flow record, select an Ending state. This is the override value which becomes the starting state for all new records in the table named.
b. Click Create Default Value. The system populates the Dictionary override field with a value of state, which is the field in the task table affected by the override. The Dictionary override field is read-only. After the override is created, the system hides the Create Default Value button on all subsequent state flow forms for that table.
4. How do you convert a UI policy to a data policy?
It is possible to make a UI policy the default setting by converting the UI policy to a data policy. This function requires UI_Policy_Admin access.
When you convert a UI policy to a data policy, it will deactivate the UI policy. So if you want to retain the policy in UI, you have to select the check box ‘Use as UI policy on client’ on the data policy record.
Only UI policies that meet the following conditions on the UI policy form can be converted to a data policy
· The Run scripts check box is cleared.
· The Global check box is selected.
· UI policy actions must have Visible set to Leave Alone.
Next, you can convert the UI policy to Data policy
1. Navigate to System UI > UI Policies.
2. Open an existing UI policy.
3. Under Related Links, click Convert this to Data Policy.
A new data policy record is created.
4. Edit the fields on the data
5. When should a business rule run?
A business rule is a server-side script that runs when a record is displayed, inserted, updated, or deleted, or when a table is queried. You can use business rules to accomplish tasks like change form fields values automatically when specified conditions are fulfilled etc.
Business rules run based on two sets of criteria:
· The time that the business rule is configured to run relative to a record being modified or accessed.
· The database operation that the system takes on the record.
The following options are provided to determine the time the business rule should run:
Before: After the form is submitted by the user but before an action is taken on the record in the database
After: After the form is submitted by the user and after an action is taken on the record in the database
Async: When the scheduler runs the scheduled job created from the business rule.
6. What are the common types of actions that business rules can perform?
Business rules can perform a variety of actions. Common types of actions are:
· You can change the form field values that are being updated by the user. Field values can be set to either value copied from other fields, specific values available for that field and relative values determined by the user's role.
· Display information messages to the user.
· Change child task values as per changes to parent tasks.
· Prevent users from accessing or modifying certain form fields.
· If certain conditions are met, prevent the user from saving the record in the database.
All the above can be done by administrators without writing a script.
7. What can you do with scripts in ServiceNow?
With the help of scripts, you can extend your instance beyond standard configurations. It is also possible to automate processes, add functionality, integrate your instance with an outside application, etc.
8. Can you compare domain separation to separate instances?
While the behavior offered with domain separation provides multi-tenancy support, multi-tenancy is still contained within a single instance. In short, this would mean that any global data and processes would be shared across all domains. Actions such as Save login details of the user to prevent multiple login requests would not be limited to a single domain. Therefore, in case a complete separation of system properties is needed, then it would be better to go with separate instances.
9. Describe data management in ServiceNow
Administrators in ServiceNow can view and configure data that is stored and managed according to a principled structure. Data management functions include importing, exporting, and archiving database data and configuring fields and tables.
All the data is stored in database tables and records. Tools such as manual import and export tools, schema maps, data dictionary tables, etc. are available to manage the data.
Plugins offer additional functionality. Field normalization makes records more readable and prevents duplication of data. Scripting support allows for advanced customizations and automation of data management.
10. What are access control rules?
Access control rules, also known as access control lists (ACL) or access controls, restrict access to data by requiring users to pass a set of requirements before they can interact with it.
All access control rules specify:
· The object and operation being secured
· The permissions required to access the object
We hope these questions will help you succeed in your ServiceNow interview. Should you need more information or guidance on steering the job-market during these difficult times in the Covid-19 pandemic, don't hesitate to reach out to our recruiting team.